Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Restoring My Ignorance

I am rethinking things...

There are two things that just happened today that have caused me to pause. Here is the first...

If you do not know, this is Evan. She is my 13 month old daughter. Notice how children take risks without even thinking about it. They just do it in their joy of exploration.

Oh, and notice how happy she is.

Now, here is the second thing...

I came across this quote today.

"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

Evan is the epitome of this quote. She doesn't know any better and she is going for it. Did I mention how happy she looks?

So here I am, contemplating. How do I restore my ignorance? How do I confidently move forward without much thought?

Do you know what kills ignorance? Thinking you know it all. Another way of putting this might be a fear of not knowing. A fear of the unknown.

We think we know so much. It is this knowing that keeps us trapped and unable to explore.

Do you know what fuels ignorance? Curiosity. You must be in a state of ignorance in order to develop curiosity. If you think that you already know, why be curious?

Here is an example of ignorance being stifled... "Curiosity killed the cat." How often have you heard that? Think of the fear of that. If you are curious, you will die. Just like kitty.

Look at Evan's face. Go ahead. Click on the picture and blow it up. Do you see the joy that ignorance and confidence brings? How sad it would have been if my wife, Barbara, had stopped her and said, "No! You might get hurt." But she didn't.

In actuality, she helped make it safer by watching her closely and then she grabbed the camera (no calls to child services please).

So go on. Be ignorant! Be confident! Find the joy in this wonderful combination once again.

No comments: