Monday, May 28, 2007

An Eye-Opening Letter

Saturday, I opened a letter that I received from my accountant. I read...

"It is with great personal sadness we are writing to tell you that D. passed away this Thursday morning, May 24, 2007. She suffered a massive heart attack at 6 am, and her death came as a shock to us all."

I audibly gasped in shock.

D. was a friend that I had known for over 13 years. The first time that she did my taxes, I was a couple years behind and I owed the state some money. She paid the taxes for me and I made payments to her over the next year. I always appreciated that act of kindness, but that was D.

Her sense of humor, her groundedness, and her sage financial/business advice will be truly missed.

She was a horse person who loved to jump her horse, Cabo.

She was overweight, big built and 49 years old. She left a teenage daughter, a loving husband, and a partnership in a multimillion dollar buisness.

I spoke to her about coming in and getting on a program for health. I did this several times throughout the years saying, "When are you coming in?" She never came in.

I now wonder if I had just said, "You're obese. You don't look healthy. You look sick. I am really concerned for you." I wonder if I could have changed this. I wonder if there would have been one less teenage kid growing up without a mother.

I will no longer sit still as people I love slowly kill themselves. Losing D. like this has given me permission to say what needs to be said to my friends for whom I am concerned.

Please urge your loved ones to take action now to get healthy.

I love you D. I am so sorry that I let you and your family down.

No comments: