Thursday, May 1, 2008

Focus on the Heaven

Recently, the subject of heaven and hell has crept up in my life again. Have you ever though about it? Most of us have. The subject fascinates me so sit back and enjoy a perspective on the subject...

I believe that there is heaven and I believe that there is hell. What makes my understanding a little different than most is that I do not feel that it is something that we have to wait until we die to experience.

Heaven and hell are all around us all of the time. I believe that it is represented by what we choose to focus on. We determine if we are experiencing heaven or hell in every single moment.I came to this understanding by really looking at the Lord's Prayer. The part about "on Earth as it is in Heaven" really stimulated my thoughts. I asked myself, "Is it possible to create heaven right now, here on Earth?" "How does one create Earth as it is in Heaven?"

Some clues started to reveal themselves when I looked at science. There were a couple of discoveries in science that freaked out the whole scientific community.

Do you remember high school science class? We learned that light was both a wave and a particle. That was about as far as it went. What they did not tell you is this... light is a particle or a wave depending on what you are measuring. If you want to measure it as a wave, it shows up as a wave. If you want to measure it as a particle, it shows up as a particle. Trippy.

So, light is either a particle or a wave depending on what we expect it to be.
You might be wondering what this has to do with heaven or hell. We'll get to that.

Another amazing discovery in science was the theory of relativity. You know, E = MC (squared). Get this, E is energy. M is matter. C is the speed of light (a constant). What this equation says is that energy and matter are the same. To be completely clear, there is a whole bunch of energy in a little bit of matter.

Just think about this. Everything that you touch or see as reality is energy and a little bit of matter. In fact, as you look at smaller and smaller units of matter, it all becomes just energy.

Here is what Einstein said about reality. "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

The point of stating these scientific discoveries is this. What they show is that two things can exist in the same place at the same time. It is you that determines which is perceived. You must be asking yourself, "What does this have to do with heaven or hell?"

Here we go. I believe that heaven and hell exist simultaneously, in the same space, like energy and matter. You determine whether you are experiencing heaven or you are experiencing hell. The existence of heaven or hell is determined by your perspective.

Try this.

Write down something bad that is happening in your life. (I'll do an example here, this is my example so please do not judge me. Make up your own...)

The Iraq War

Now write down every possible bad thing that there is about it.

People are dying, gas prices are going up, there doesn't seem to be an end, the country is split, there is a lot of hate, we have become an even bigger target for terrorism, etc.

Next, write an equal number of good things that can come from it.

America will come out of this with more tolerance, we will learn to think before we react, we will learn that an eye for an eye is not always a good strategy, I am learning the importance of knowing what the outcome is before I start something, I am more grateful for my freedom, people are moving towards alternative fuel sources, etc.

If you notice, both these perspectives are true (to me). If I choose to focus on all of the first set, I am seeing things more as hell. If I choose to focus on the second set, I see things more heavenly.

Where do you tend to focus?Here is another Einstein quote, "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Start looking for heaven in everything. It is there if you seek it.

No comments: